THOUGHTS FOR WOMEN TO CONSIDER
If a woman’s father was abusive, absent, judgmental or emotionally distant, what are some of the ways she may differ from other women?
· Many of these women will make very poor choices with a romantic partner.
· There may be a Fear of Success.
· She may tend to have very low Self-Efficacy
· She may have Excessive Fears of Rejection
· There may be serious problems of Mistrust
· Addictions and Obsessions tend to be very common
· She may be more Defensive than other women
· She may exhibit Envy of others
· She may have more of a tendency to be self-critical
· These women tend to look for answers outside of themselves
· She may have difficulty recognizing and claiming her own special ness.
· She tends to live with an Empty Place inside that longs to be filled.
Questions to ask yourself:
· Do you fear that people you love will leave you?
· If your father was absent, what were the conditions of his departure: military duty, extended travel, suicide, other death, divorce, imprisonment, lots of business travel, desertion?
· What are some of the feelings you can remember about your father’s leaving?
· Are you one of the many women who never knew your biological father and did not think it made a difference in your life?
· If you remember your dad leaving, for what ever reason, how old were you at the time?
· Was this considered a “family secret” in your home?
· If your father was not completely absent, but “distant,” how did you feel inside?